The 'Victorian Cottage' 2010
In 2009 we started to build our new ' Victorian cottage' giving us a new challenge and opportunity to be very ‘ environmentally conscious” including:
- passive solar system, ground storage
- solar heated concrete pad, some solar outdoor lighting
- high spec. insulation
- double glazed Low E windows and doors, all with fly screens, double glazed skylights
- all new ‘Energy Star’ appliances
- recycled old rimu front door and wall panels as well as making some of our furniture from this recycled wood.
- low flow shower heads, dual flush toilets
- gardens designed for no or low water, herb and vegetable gardens as well as a large native garden
- board walks were also used for tree protection
We encourage our guests to offer us new and exciting ideas on sustainability.
We are proud to have achieved a Qualmark Enviro-Silver Award. We are committed to the future of an 'unspoilt' New Zealand and with your help, will strive for gold.